technique for controlling anger

As a person who has carried a heavy burden of anger for most of his life, I have found the following technique for controlling anger very effective and very useful. This three-stage technique (thought, word, deed) is based on the proven yoga of visualisation and affirmation.

Stage 1, Thought. Start taking a long, slow, deep breath and visualise these words scrolling across a screen in front of your mind's eye:

"Thank you god* for helping me understand that there is no requirement for me to feel anger, and that if I wish I can extinguish my anger...

"I reach deep into myself. I gently and lovingly take hold of my red, boiling ball of anger, bitterness, resentment, frustration..."

(Visualise the hot, red, glowing ball of anger deep inside yourself. Inside the ball is your angry self, your mouth wide open, shouting, screaming in rage, fists beating furiously against the inside of the ball. Visualise your hands gently taking hold of the ball. Now start exhaling, long and slow, while you continue visualising the words and the images described by the words.)

Read full text of article at mumbo jumbo

Copyright © S R Schwarz 2007. All rights reserved.

wicked and sick | manic memes | pathetic poetry | mumbo jumbo | very short stories | portal to the multiverse (refresh/home)